26 September 2008

College Football Begins

In concurrence with the past three seasons, USC fails to make it out of their own conference unbeaten...and again, it was an UNRANKED opponent that took them down.

Now I will give Oregon State a bit more credit than Stanford, but this by no way justifies the PAC-10 as a force to reckon with in my book...

Here are my favorite thoughts:

1. USC's win over OSU: Not really a game and everyone knew that going in. With Beanie out, why did anyone even consider it a game? Why did the sports media glorify USC for that win? REALLY? Ok, that past is past...moving on...

2. Pete Carroll quotes (via ESPN):

I'm beside myself. They didn't hide what they were doing, they just did it. We couldn't stop it. We couldn't tackle.
The reality of the Pac-10 is obvious.

Two reactions from me: What the hell is this reality of the Pac-10 that he is talking about? I think this just proved it's not strong...again...and just said that USC is NOT the best! DUH!

3. From Mark Schlabach: Big 12, Big Ten, SEC teams benefit from USC loss
Suddenly, every good team in college football seems to be back in the national championship race.
SEC teams like Alabama, Georgia, Florida and defending BCS national champion LSU no longer have to worry about finishing unbeaten against a murderer's row schedule.

REALLY...did everyone think that USC was a shoe-in? I guaran-damn-tee it that the SEC folks didn't. Although, at least we got a little respect for our ability to kill ech other...another reason I care more about the SEC Championship than the BCS. I mean, OSU helped prove that one two years in a row.

4. Results from ESPN Polls:
Which team will win the National Title?
Oklahoma: 27%
Other: 25%
Georgia: 20%
Florida: 17%
LSU:11%
What does that say about the strengths of the conferences? SEC BABY!!!

Ok, enough espousing...a few favorite quotes from around the web:

From Dan Shanoff, SportingNews.com:
Thank you for exposing USC as having done little to prove it was truly worthy of its No. 1 ranking — that USC was overrated, all hype.

Thank you for making USC irrelevant for the rest of the season.


And I am DONE...

GEAUX TIGERS!

No comments: